Oakleigh Baptist Community is a church based in the South Eastern Suburbs of Victoria Australia that meets as a local community and extends online across Australia and around the world.
We welcome you to join us in person if you live locally, or join us online from anywhere around the world. We gather together in person and online via streaming and recorded video. We also meet in small groups in person and via online video calls. We invite you to join with us and become part of Oakleigh Baptist Community.
Oakleigh Baptist Community is a member church of the Baptist Union of Victoria (BUV). Baptist churches are found in almost every country in the world. As part of the world-wide Christian church, Baptists form one of the largest families of faith, alongside other Christian traditions.
The church is not so much a particular place or building, but rather a family of believers, committed to Christ, to one another and to the service of God in the world.
Oakleigh Baptist Community is home to other groups who meet in our facilities and online. We also partner with Fusion, a Youth and community organization.
It is exciting and in some ways it is a good description about how God is able to work through different people and groups to fulfil his purpose.
The Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-38): Jesus said: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind, and Love your neighbour as yourself.”
The Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20): “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
These two great teachings of Jesus sum up very clearly the vision of our church. The focus of our worship and attention is towards God because the foundation and focus of our life is in a growing healthy relationship with Jesus. It is also outward because, out of the relationship we have with God, we respond in loving service towards our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ and in mission to invite all who are willing to join the family of God.
Paul used this illustration of family to describe those who belong to Christ and we find it to be a really helpful description. Therefore we say that we are striving to “Be God’s Children,” to “Raise God’s Children” and to “Enlarge God’s Family.”
Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
What We Believe
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.
- The existence of one God in three persons – the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- The deity and incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God, the second person of the Holy Trinity.
- The fallen, sinful and lost estate of all people.
- The salvation of men and women from the penal consequences and power of sin through the perfect obedience of the Lord Jesus Christ, His atoning death, His resurrection from the dead, His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and His unchanging priesthood.
- The immediate work of the Holy Spirit in the regeneration of men and women, in their sanctification, and in their preservation to the heavenly Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The necessity, in order to know salvation, of repentance towards God and of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The resurrection of the dead, and the final judgment of all people by the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The two ordinances of the Lord Jesus Christ, namely Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which are of perpetual obligation: Baptism being the immersion of believers upon the profession of their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and a symbol of the fellowship of the regenerate in His death, burial and resurrection; the Lord’s Supper being a memorial, until He comes, of the sacrifice of the body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Meet Our Pastor
Pastors who are recognised, appointed and affirmed by the church to prayerfully cast vision, provide teaching and encouragement to mobilise the church family in mission. Elders are appointed to share with pastors in the spiritual oversight of the church, pastoral care of the members and maintaining the vision and direction of the church. Deacons are also there to ensure that the church runs smoothly and that everyone works together to continue the mission of the church.
Rev. Brad Rumble
Meet Our Partners
Baptist Union of Victoria
Oakleigh Baptist Church and Melbourne Bangjoo Church are both part of the family of Churches covered by the Baptist Union of Victoria (BUV). The BUV is made up of over 237 churches throughout Victoria. Being part of the BUV provides accountability, support, training and strength. It helps us to create a culture of unity within diversity, of inclusion and collaboration, building on a deep sense of community.
Fusion South East Melbourne
Fusion is an international youth and community organisation. Fusion SE Melbourne operates from Oakleigh Baptist Community and we partner together to help young people create their place in the world. Fusion’s goal is to mentor and encourage young people to step beyond what they know of themselves, to discover their full potential and find their purpose in life.